Written by Arunava Mukherjee, Operations Manager
Is legacy technology estate holding you from driving to business agility or digital disruption?
Here is your Solution, Application Modernization, which is the process of updating legacy applications to scalable, cloud-native app environments by using modern technology stacks. Through this process, applications can continue to meet modern user expectations as they evolve.
Business benefits of Application Modernization?
- Enterprises looking to modernize technology can save money by building new applications and retire legacy solutions which will lead to a significant reduction in TCO
- In addition, the hyper-scale, breadth of services, and level of automation can achieve incremental savings, and over time, significant cost optimization.
- Maximize the value of your existing investments. As your journey to the cloud matures, your organization will want to maximize the value of existing hardware, software, and business applications. This gives you the ability to run your most valuable enterprise applications in the cloud and empowers you to get the best return from your assets, both legacy, new, and everything in between.
- Build New Innovation
Monolithic Architecture to Microservices Architecture
A monolithic architecture may work well today, but challenges often arise as your business grows. Microservices, help you address common challenges like scaling up and deploying new features quickly. Give your team some practice by inviting them to complete an AWS project that will walk them through the process of breaking a monolith into microservices.
Modern applications built with microservices architectures enable innovation by distributing the effort and investment over time and across smaller teams, increasing the speed of testing and delivering changes to the market. They allow fine-grained resource optimization and enable teams to rapidly scale both in how they build products and how they run them. New architectural patterns like microservices allow organizations to accelerate the pace of innovation.
What defines a microservices architecture?
Microservices architectures are built with discrete, modular elements that work together. While this modularity does come with the challenge of increased code “surface area”. The elemental features of Microservices Architecture are:
- Specialized – Each service is designed for a set of capabilities and focuses on solving a specific problem. If developers contribute more code to service over time and the service becomes complex, it can be broken into smaller services.
- Distributed – A microservices architecture breaks your application from a single process into multiple components that work together to deliver value. Any communication between individual components happens via well-defined, loosely coupled APIs.
- Autonomous – Each component service in a microservices architecture can be developed, deployed, operated, and scaled without affecting the functioning of other services. Services do not need to share any of their code or implementation with other services.
The microservices advantage Modern Application Development:
- Agility: A small team that’s working on an individual service component is freed from the constraints of other components and thus can be nimbler and respond to issues or opportunities faster.
- Easy Deployment: Microservices reduce the size of changes, making it easy to try out new ideas and roll back if something doesn’t work.
- Technological Freedom: Microservices architectures give teams the freedom to choose the best tools to create each part of an application.
- Scalability: Microservices allow each service to be independently scaled to meet the demand for the application feature it supports
- Resilience: Microservices reduce the impact of failure on a single part of the application. This means any individual component failure only degrades functionality instead of crashing the entire application.
- Reusable Code: Dividing software into small, well-defined service components enables teams to use these service components for multiple purposes within an application. This allows an application to build off itself, as developers can create new capabilities without writing code from scratch or having to deal with implementation details.
As a result, development teams are able to experiment and innovate faster, to release the products and features that deliver a competitive advantage.
Ways to Modernize your applications
Application Modernizations with Containers and Serverless cloud-native technology. Take advantage of advanced cloud services to improve scalability, reliability, and cost-efficiency while adding new capabilities to your mission-critical software.
- Build and run apps without thinking about servers – Serverless Spend time focusing on innovating your application instead of managing infrastructure. You no longer need to provision or maintain servers, operating systems, or software. This means you can focus on writing business logic that provides differentiated value to your customers and business.
We have expertise in Serverless compute technologies such as AWS Lambda, which supports Serverless event-driven code execution, support for All language runtimes, and Data source integrations with RDS. For Serverless containers technologies we have expertise in AWS Fargate which brings fully managed containers orchestration and automatically scale by a unit of work and have built-in availability and fault tolerance. With these options, you can build customer-ready modern applications, right from the start and with a lower cost of ownership because you pay for execution duration, or consistent throughput, not for server units.
- The power of Containerization – Containers provide a standard way to package your application’s code, configurations, and dependencies into a single object. Containers share an operating system installed on the server and run as resource-isolated processes, ensuring quick, reliable, and consistent deployments, regardless of environment. Containers package your code with the configuration files and dependencies it needs to consistently run in any environment. Containers also provide process isolation that lets you granularly set CPU and memory utilization for better use of computing resources.
Advantages of Modern Compute
- Scalable & Resilient Cloud Infrastructure: Modernize traditional apps adopting best practices from AWS Well-Architected Framework and harness the flexibility and scalability of the cloud.
- Deliver a Better Customer Experience: Modern Infrastructure provides the infrastructure, storage, availability, advanced analytics, and decision-making capabilities to leverage customer data to engage them in meaningful ways.
- Drive New Revenue Streams Modernizing strategic applications with a microservices architecture is a worthwhile investment that will bring tangible results and build new revenue streams.
- Rapidly Build and Deliver Products: Automate manual tasks and manage complex environments at scale using AWS DevOps tools.
Why CLOUD WORMMATES
- The A-Team – Team of top-notch AWS certified solution architects with deep technical expertise in cloud-native architecture & blue-printing for your transformation to Application Modernization.
- End-to-end AWS services – From infrastructure migrations to cloud analytics and everything in between – we have the expertise to cover the entire spectrum of AWS cloud solutions.
- DevOps Professional Services – Gain the benefits of a CI/CD pipeline for deployment and operations, utilizing a single source of truth in source control and ensuring consistent & auditable environments. Serverless and containers more effectively utilize the underlying hardware, resulting in significant savings. And Delivery of application modernization projects with our Agile Software Development capability.